1. Should Nellie Forbush have married a man who had killed someone in the past?
2. Should Lieutenant Cable have married Liat?
Discussion Questions Relating to Ethical Issues will facilitate the use of this film to teach ethical principles and critical viewing. Additional questions are set out below.
(Be honest; Don’t deceive, cheat or steal; Be reliable — do what you say you’ll do; Have the courage to do the right thing; Build a good reputation; Be loyal — stand by your family, friends, and country)
1. Was it right for Nellie Forbush to provide information on Emile DeBec for the U.S. Navy?
2. Debec was not a soldier, nor was he a U.S. citizen. How did his actions in undertaking a dangerous mission apply this Pillar of Character?
(Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule; Be tolerant of differences; Use good manners, not bad language; Be considerate of the feelings of others; Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone; Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements)
3. What did you learn from the song “You’ve Got to Be Carefully Taught” about the origins of prejudice?